Ancient Egyptian Cat purchased for the MFA Boston (SOLD)
Transition to Late Period 22nd to 25th Dynasties
Radio-Carbon dated to between 850 and 500 B.C.
An unusually large Egyptian wooden votive figure of a cat with tangs at the base for insertion. The partial remains of a 19th century typed label attached to the front of the Victorian plinth reads that the statue was found at Bubastis (the main cult centre to the goddes Bastet) and that the statue together with other objects was sold in Alexandria in 1888. It is known that excavations took place in Bubastis in 1886 and 1887.
h 58.5 cm (23 in)
On loan to the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge June 2006 to September 2007.
Purchased by a benefactor for the Museum of Fine Art, Boston
Formerly the property of Mrs Belinda Kirby
From a collection formed in the late 19th century by Mrs Kirby's great great uncle Edward Towry Whyte and Sir William Palin Elderton K.B.E. In 1932 a major portion of the collection was bequeathed by Towry Whyte to the Fitzwilliam Museum and further antiquities were donated in the 1950's by Sir William Palin Elderton.