A Solomon Islands Leaf Club

Guadalcanal, Melanesia, Papua New Guinea

19th Century

The leaf shaped blade with medial ridges on either side narrows to an elliptical shaft ending with a pointed terminal.
Length 128.8 cm (49.25 in)

These clubs are made by the Bushmen of Guadalcanal and exported to other Islands in the Solomons, most commonly Florida and Santa Isabelle, where they are used in the dances which precede battle as well as in the combat which follows. The name given in Florida is rau-ni-aba meaning 'the leaf of Aba' which is the place in Guadalcanal where they are made.

Provenance:
The William Ockelford Oldman Collection, London, 1st May 1931
John Woodman Higgins Armoury Collection, JWHA Inv. No. 1575

Bibliography:
Art des Iles Salomon from the Barbier-Muller Museum by D. Waite pub.1983
Ethnographical Album of the Pacific Islands by Edge-Partington second edition 1996 p.218 1 & 2
Regard sur les Iles Salomon by Jean-Edouard Carlier, Paris

1369 / 2677
Enquiries to: leonora@peterpetrou.com
Please quote the above number

Previous Next